Apple chucks $3 at iPhone users after killing FaceTime on iOS 6 because it didn’t want to pay connectivity charges after 6 year legal fight

Apple has agreed to settle a class-action lawsuit brought by folks upset the iGiant broke FaceTime overnight on millions of iPhones. The settlement amounts to a few bucks a device, meaning the Cupertino giant almost certainly made a net profit in the process.

This week the Tim Cook-led corporation said it would pay $18m [PDF] into a fund to compensate the estimated 3.6 million people living in California for whom the video-conferencing app suddenly stopped working on their iOS 6 smartphones in April 2014.

The $18m sum is a third of the fair compensation the lawsuit’s claimants had calculated. Apple had made it plain it would aggressively fight the case for years, though, and so a decision was taken to settle for a lower sum. After all, Apple has been battling for more than a decade a separate legal claim that ultimately led to the FaceTime breakage, and is still firing away even after the US Supreme Court snubbed it.

About half of the settlement money will foot lawyers’ bills and pay a company to disburse tiny checks to people, possibly as low as $2.44 to $3 per Californian, depending on how many claim. If there is any good news, it’s the fact those eligible won’t have to apply for it, but should receive e-checks to their email addresses: Apple estimates that it has the details for 90 per cent of those eligible, and we suspect the remaining 10 per cent won’t bother to collect.

The two people who brought the case, Christina Grace and Ken Potter, had four in-person mediation sessions and spent three years and countless hours trying to drag compensation out of Apple for killing FaceTime. They will get $7,500 apiece.

Meanwhile, the lawyers – Steyer Lowenthal Boodrookas and Smith in San Francisco and Pearson, Smith and Warshaw in Los Angeles – will get up to $7.9m, and the check disbursement company Epiq Systems will get $1.4m. No surprises there.

Apple changed the way FaceTime worked in 2014 because a court found the software infringed VirnetX’s patents, and Apple had been ordered to pay $368m. FaceTime was revised to avoid those patents, and a new version was pushed out in an operating system update, iOS 7.

Go slow

However, millions of iPhone owners chose not to update their smartphones because iOS 7 was resource hungry and slowed down their handsets, so they stayed on iOS 6. In order to avoid continuing to infringe VirnetX’s patents before iOS 7 was released, Apple had stopped using a peer-to-peer technique for routing calls, and instead put some FaceTime calls through a relay run by Akamai. But that relay cost Apple money.

And so, after iOS 7 was released, Apple let a digital certificate expire that killed FaceTime for anyone using iOS version 6 or lower, and thus there was no longer a need to operate and pay for the relay. Everyone was expected to upgrade to the non-infringing FaceTime in iOS 7, which didn’t need the Akamai’s system.

Apple claimed at the time this sudden loss of connectivity was a “bug,” and that users should upgrade to iOS 7 to fix the knackered chat app. But internal documents suggest that Apple knowingly broke FaceTime because it was costing it money. “Our users on [iOS 6] are basically screwed,” an Apple engineer noted in an internal email quoted in the lawsuit.

Source: Apple chucks $3 at iPhone users after killing FaceTime on iOS 6 because it didn’t want to pay connectivity charges • The Register

Organisational Structures | Technology and Science | Military, IT and Lifestyle consultancy | Social, Broadcast & Cross Media | Flying aircraft